ABOUT OUR ASSOCIATION
Our Association which is situated in Dava Bazar, Mumbai-2 is a pioneer organization of business community trading in pharmaceuticals and allied fields covering dealers and distributors of pharmaceutical Bulk Drugs, Ethical and Generic medicines, Laboratory Chemicals, Surgical and scientific equipments & apparatus and includes prominent importers and exporters of the said items.
Since its establishment in the year 1925, it has been actively involved in the issues concerning trade. Beginning with a small number of members on its roll, the Association has been able to strengthen itself year by year and now has the membership strength of over 556 members including regd. brokers.
Presently the association is known by the name of BULK DRUG & ALLIED DEALERS ASSOCIATION. Prior to the change, it was known as The Chemists & Druggists Association.
The members of the Association are doing businesses for many generations or are newly developed individual entrepreneurs. Today most of the trading businesses are carried out by second or third generations. The youngsters are learning the business tactics from elderly and in turn educating and explaining to the elder generation's new ways of managing and controlling the business. The brokers too play a vital role to teach the younger generation. In spite of technological changes the old style of concluding deals and honoring the same continues.
This Association is in the metropolitan city of Mumbai , which has grown as an international and national trade centre for import and distribution. The members of the Association are involved in import of pharmaceutical raw materials, bulk drugs and medicines, and also act as representatives and wholesale distributors and agents of locally manufactured bulk drugs and medicines, importers and dealers of chemicals including laboratory chemicals, aromatic chemicals, reagents, surgical and scientific instruments and equipments.
The Association's main object is to redress problems faced by the members and trade in general at various levels and legislations related to Import, Drug Control, Sales Tax, Customs and Central Excise etc. It is a matter of pride that the Association has been successful in impressing upon the Government the just and genuine grievances of the trade in such matters.
The Association circulates important notifications issued by various government departments and other important information which are useful to the members.
The Association maintains a very good Library of important books on drugs and pharmaceuticals and various pharmacopoeias.
The members of the Association never hesitate in contributing for national, social, charitable and humanitarian causes. It has established under its aegis two public charitable trusts namely
(1) C.D.A. Free Dispensary which treats patients at nominal charge without any distinction of caste, creed and religion.
(2) The Chemists & Druggists Association Charitable Trust' which undertakes relief and other welfare measures immediately for the people affected by natural calamities like earthquake, flood, famine etc.
To cite a few of the benevolent deeds of members of the Association
(1) Donated to National Defense Fund, Army Central Welfare fund for benefit of families of Kargil martyrs.
(2) Constructed 101 tenements at Jamnagar for cyclone flood affected families.
(3) Constructed 55 tenements at Morbi for flood affected people
(4) Established a hospital at Dhokadwa Village , a backward area of Junagadh District, the benefit of which is taken by about 20 villages
(5) Donated for reconstruction/rehabilitation of 6 schools in Ratnagiri which were worst affected by floods
(6) Two houses constructed at Samudral Village , Osmanabad district
(7) Donated monetarily and also medicines as Earthquake-relief measures in Maharashtra
and elsewhere due to Tsunami,
(8) Donated generously to S. N. D. T. Women's University, H. N. Hospital , Mumbai
Both the aforesaid Trusts are managed under separate Trust Deeds and are registered with Charity Commissioner, Mumbai. Briefly saying, the Association promotes a general feeling of well being among members and also safeguards their interests. It also educates members on the subjects of medicine and health in general, provides machinery for settlement of disputes, promotes, supports or even opposes legislative and other measures adversely affecting the trade and industry, offer a helping hand for charitable causes and organize entertainment programs for giving a platform to members to interact with each other.
The Association looks forward to continue rendering meritious services and take forward the traditions laid down 80 years ago.